Monday, April 27, 2009

One of my earliest memories is of sitting with my father, trying to get my finger through smoke rings he created while puffing on his pipe. It was a game we played, he and I. He doesn't smoke any more and in fact I don't otherwise remember him smoking. Memory is an odd thing.

I remember traveling with my mother and sisters on a train. The train car was arbitrarily separated half way down, by a behind-the-seat partition so that one half was designated for smokers. Unfortunately our family were in the seats just to one side of that partition, on the other side was a portly gentleman chain-smoking cigars. Odour most foul! But he seemed oblivious to our (I'm sure) more than blatant coughs and hand waving etc.

Today I find myself getting ticked off by having to encounter second hand smoke while walking outside. How our world has changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment