Thursday, January 28, 2010

I was young when we lived in Toronto - not quite 13 when we left, and I had some quite interesting theories about the world around me. One of these, I still remember with a smile to this day. I needed to understand why it was that whole banks of streetlights came on at the same time. So I figured out that there was a room somewhere in downtown Toronto - a really big room - with nothing in it but rows and rows of switches on the wall. And there was a older man working there with a long stick that had an iron blade attached to it so it looked kind of like a really big T. His job was solely to walk about turning on banks of switches so that an entire street would light up at the same time.

It made sense then! :)

I also remember realizing that it was possible for it to be raining somewhere and not raining somewhere else! This realization didn't happen until after I moved to NB and I had the experience of being able to look over the countryside and see the rain falling but not being rained on. When one is small and lives in a city it is very hard to get that perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment